Opihi Field Trip at School

Hi, it’s hmsleilani and today I am going to tell you guys about today’s field trip to Sand Island Beach.

So today, we went on a field trip to Sand Island Beach. It was for science. We are studying algae right now. We have practiced with our groups for the intertidal and try to find what kind of algae lives in that area. It was really fun, but there were a ton of rocks and it was hard for me to get down to the ocean and get back up to the land area because the rocks were so steep. The ocean was also really steep too since there were rocks and ditches in them.

It was a group of 3 in each group. I was always really scared if I were to fall because there were so many sharp rocks and it could hurt me. The teacher said that there may be some people who get hurt, but there weren’t really many people who did. I was lucky that I didn’t get hurt because the ocean water would have hurt. Some of the rocks we had to be careful stepping on because there were some algae or living things on them. I was happy that I never got stung because it would have hurt so much. It was kind of stressful too because the sand kept on going into our shoes on the way to the ocean.

Also, there were airplanes that kept on flying past us and it was so annoying because we couldn’t hear what our teacher was saying. When the sand got into my shoes, it felt like sand piles because it was a really long walk to the ocean and every time I took a step, more sand would have gotten into my shoes. I didn’ really want t touch the algae because it looked really weird and gross. I was glad when we got back to school because that meant that I would be cleaned. We also got some snacks after we came back from the Sand Island Beach. There were some really spikey thorns that poked out of all the bushes. It was a really fun day though.

Well, that’s all for today,

hmsleilani