POL – Presentation of Learning

Hi, it’s hmsleilani and today I am going to tell you guys about POL.

POL stands for Presentation of Learning. The POL is basically when you show parents what you and your classmates have learned from the past year. This year, we did the OPIHI. We have been training for this for a really long timeWe were divided into 6 different groups and we presented what topic we wanted to the parents that came into our classroom. It was kind of nerve-wracking but a little fun at the same time. My group and I picked to do the Mock Intertidal Zone. It is basically creating a model of the intertidal zone and showing how we used the intersecting line and the quadrat.

While on the field trip of OPIHI, some of the eighth graders took pictures of us and made a slideshow for us to use during the Learning Showcase. Another name for people to call the OPL if Learning Showcase. The pictures were us at the Sand Island Beach Park trying to find algae and measurements. We showed the parents how we used the quadrats and the measurements to find the percentage. We had the first topic in mind but another group took it so we chose the Mock Intertidal. The first topic we wanted was the safety rule, which was really easy. There was also a sampling topic where you show parents algae that we have collecting during the field trip.

At the end of the first learning showcase that we have presented, we got ice cream. We couldn’t finish our ice cream in time because we had to go to Taiko. We had another presentation their too. We taught some of the parents taiko and performed a song called “Together”. I was kind of scared that I would have messed up because that was my first performance of taiko. Every time it was time to switch out, a loud bell would ring all the time which would sound like a fire drill at first.  It was pretty fun because it was different from last year. The slideshow had some funny pictures of us too and we were laughing, but the music sounded very sad.

Well, that’s all for today,

hmsleilani